Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hamburgers & Fries Watch

Day 28 - Hamburger Watch
Day 7 - French Fries Watch

I really need a better camera. The picture to the left just doesn't do these foods justice.

What can I say about the burgers except... Same story, different day. I will however continue to watch the Wendys burger closely.

The fries are a bit of a different story. The three fast food french fries are as expected, unchanged. My fries are sporting a white fuzz in a couple spots. My camera does not pick it up clearly, but I expect in another week or so we should see some clear changes.









So what about these fast food fries? Just as we allow our hot dogs and other processed meats to contain chemicals to help us find them pleasing to the eye, so to do we accept our french fries to be treated for our appeal. Lets face it, who wants to buy grey hot dogs or bologna and who wants dark colored french fries with a less than fluffy consistency?

Thats right, these fast food french fries go through a special process to help them maintain color and consistency... Just before they are frozen, packaged and shipped to a restaurant near you for a quick fry and serve.

For starters: These french fries include either sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color) or Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate (color protector), both are chemical food additives that are GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

In looking over resources on french fry ingredients, what I found was that I could find more details on the McDonalds fries than the others. The details I found or didn't find, raised some more questions on processing which I will explore further and report back at a later date.

Next update Sunday. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Did you know I have another Blog? Please check out A Healthier You Too

No comments:

Post a Comment